sit İngilizce anlamı ve tanımı
- (v. t.) to cover and warm eggs for hatching, as a fowl; to brood; to incubate.
- (v. t.) to lie, rest, or bear; to press or weigh; -- with on; as, a weight or burden sits lightly upon him.
- (v. t.) to have position, as at the point blown from; to hold a relative position; to have direction.
- (v. t.) to rest upon the haunches, or the lower extremity of the trunk of the body; -- said of human beings, and sometimes of other animals; as, to sit on a sofa, on a chair, or on the ground.
- () obs. 3d pers. sing. pres. of sit, for sitteth.
- (v. t.) to occupy a place or seat as a member of an official body; as, to sit in congress.
- (v. t.) to take a position for the purpose of having some artistic representation of one's self made, as a picture or a bust; as, to sit to a painter.
- (v. t.) to be adjusted; to fit; as, a coat sts well or ill.
- (v. t.) to suit one well or ill, as an act; to become; to befit; -- used impersonally.
- (v. t.) to sit upon; to keep one's seat upon; as, he sits a horse well.
- (v. t.) to remain in a state of repose; to rest; to abide; to rest in any position or condition.
- (v. t.) to perch; to rest with the feet drawn up, as birds do on a branch, pole, etc.
- (v. t.) to suit (well / ill); to become.
- (v. t.) to hold a session; to be in session for official business; -- said of legislative assemblies, courts, etc.; as, the court sits in january; the aldermen sit to-night.
- (v. t.) to cause to be seated or in a sitting posture; to furnish a seat to; -- used reflexively.
sit tanım:kelime: sit söyleniş: 'sitİşlev: verbtürleri: sat
middle english sitten,
from old english sittan;
akin to old high german sizzen
to sit, latin sedere,
to sit, hedra
seatintransitive senses1 a
: to rest on the buttocks or haunches <sit
in a chair> -- often used with down b : perch, roost2
: to occupy a place as a member of an official body <sit
: to hold a session : be in session for official business4
: to cover eggs for hatching : brood5 a
: to take a position for having one's portrait painted or for being photographed b
: to serve as a model6 archaic
: to have one's dwelling place : dwell7 a
: to lie or hang relative to a wearer <the collar sits
: to affect one with or as if with weight <the food sat
heavily on his stomach>8 : lie, rest
<a kettle sitting
on the stove>9 a
: to have a location <the house sits
well back from the road> b of wind
: to blow from a certain direction10
: to remain inactive or quiescent <the car sits
in the garage>11
: to take an examination12 : baby-sit13
: to please or agree with one -- used with with
and an adverb <the decision did not sit
well with me>transitive senses1
: to cause to be seated : place on or in a seat -- often used with down2
: to sit on (eggs)3
: to keep one's seat on <sit
: to provide seats or seating room for
- sit on 1
: to hold deliberations concerning 2 : repress, squelch 3
: to delay action or decision concerning
- sit pretty
: to be in a highly favorable situation
- sit tight 1
: to maintain one's position without change 2
: to remain quiet in or as if in hiding
- sit under
: to attend religious service under the instruction or ministrations of also : to attend the classes or lectures of
sit ile eşanlamlı (synonym) kelimelermodel
sit ile zıt (antonym) anlamlı kelimelerarise