Inch İngilizce anlamı ve tanımı
- (a.) Measurement an inch in any dimension, whether length, breadth, or thickness; -- used in composition; as, a two-inch cable; a four-inch plank.
- (noun) A small distance or degree, whether of time or space; hence, a critical moment.
- (noun) An island; -- often used in the names of small islands off the coast of Scotland, as in Inchcolm, Inchkeith, etc.
- (v. i.) To advance or retire by inches or small degrees; to move slowly.
- (v. t.) To drive by inches, or small degrees.
- (noun) A measure of length, the twelfth part of a foot, commonly subdivided into halves, quarters, eights, sixteenths, etc., as among mechanics. It was also formerly divided into twelve parts, called lines, and originally into three parts, called barleycorns, its length supposed to have been determined from three grains of barley placed end to end lengthwise. It is also sometimes called a prime ('), composed of twelve seconds (''), as in the duodecimal system of arithmetic.
- (v. t.) To deal out by inches; to give sparingly.
Inch tanım:Kelime: inch
Kökeni: Middle English, from Old English ynce, from Latin uncia -- more at OUNCE
1 : a unit of length equal to 1/36 yard -- see WEIGHT table
2 : a small amount, distance, or degree is like cutting a dog's tail off by inches -- Milton Friedman
3 plural : STATURE, HEIGHT
4 a : a fall (as of rain or snow) sufficient to cover a surface or to fill a gauge to the depth of one inch b : a degree of atmospheric or other pressure sufficient to balance the weight of a column of liquid (as mercury) one inch high in a barometer or manometer
- every inch : to the utmost degree looks every inch a winner
- within an inch of : almost to the point of