Idle İngilizce anlamı ve tanımı
- (superl.) Of no account; useless; vain; trifling; unprofitable; thoughtless; silly; barren.
- (v. t.) To spend in idleness; to waste; to consume; -- often followed by away; as, to idle away an hour a day.
- (superl.) Not called into active service; not turned to appropriate use; unemployed; as, idle hours.
- (superl.) Not employed; unoccupied with business; inactive; doing nothing; as, idle workmen.
- (superl.) Given rest and ease; averse to labor or employment; lazy; slothful; as, an idle fellow.
- (v. i.) To lose or spend time in inaction, or without being employed in business.
- (superl.) Light-headed; foolish.
Idle tanım:Kelime: idle
Türleri: idler /'Id-l&r, 'I-d&l-&r/; idlest /'Id-l&st, 'I-d&l-&st/
Kökeni: Middle English idel, from Old English Idel; akin to Old High German Ital worthless
1 : lacking worth or basis : VAIN idle chatter idle pleasure
2 : not occupied or employed: as a : having no employment : INACTIVE idle workers b : not turned to normal or appropriate use idle funds idle farmland c : not scheduled to compete the team will be idle tomorrow
3 a : SHIFTLESS, LAZY b : having no evident lawful means of support
synonym see VAIN, INACTIVE
- idle·ness /'I-d&l-n&s/ noun
- idly /'Id-lE, 'I-d&l-E/ adverb